The three story brick building located at 91 Dutton Street was originally built between the years of 1855 and 1859. Newspaper articles from the early 1900’s speculate that it was 1859 that the Merrimack Manufacturing Company completed construction as a boardinghouse for the company’s high officials. The gentlemen used the building during summers when their families headed to the shore while also welcoming those traveling to Lowell on business.
Built on the foundation of an unknown earlier building, granite was used for the foundation and red brick for the walls of this “rock solid” building. The cast iron Vic- torian fence and granite stairs are representative of the popular Italianate style of the time. The soon-to-be Yorick Building was one of the earliest identified buildings in Lowell to employ segmental-arched windows with brick Italianate caps.